Wednesday 3 January 2007

2007 Goals

I know New Year's Resolutions get a bad rap - but I love the new beginning and opportunity a new year brings (heck, in my work I feel like that with the beginning of every month! Each months brings a new chance to get the job done right! I love the freshness of a new month!)

These are my goals for 2007:

1. Lose 60 pounds - I'm excited about this...and I think it's do-able. I've really increased the exercise I'm doing - which often makes me ravenous....but I'm working on it!

2. Participate in the Melissa's Road Race in September 2007 - This is a tentative goal. I want to be a runner again - but my left knee hurts when I run. Hopefully with more weight off that will just disappear...but if it doesn't I might have to adjust this goal

3. Have a meaningful FHE every week (i.e. A lesson!) I was having a discussion with a friend a while ago that is a seminary teacher. She said in her class she had encouraged the students to give a FHE lesson on a topic they were discussing in seminary. She said it was quite interesting to hear the reactions. There were almost no students that could follow through on the assignment. Either they didn't have FHE, or they never had lessons. I'm on a couple email groups for FHE support and ideas and this is one thing I've noticed there...very few people report having had a lesson on this or that. Usually it's an activity of some sort. We're guilty of the same thing often times! I'm going to try to raise the bar a little and have a lesson every week!

4. Memorize 52 scriptures (one a week) - Been thinking about this one for a long time! One scripture a week seems like it isn't much....but time will tell! I'm not very good at memorizing so this one will take some work.

5. Read the Book of Mormon as a family - we started on this one today. Jill has read the BOM but Peirce hasn't had as much experience with it. Our goal with him is to just keep him at the table (we read at breakfast). Jill started us off today and as she read 1 Nephi 1 she commented, "You know, now that I've read this a few times I love this part!" Music to my ears!

No comments: