Saturday 10 February 2007

Peace

Today has been an interesting day. I was happy to be able to sleep in a little. I was surprised how exhausted I was after the Sweetheart's Ball last night!

I had registered our kids for two programs at the library today. One was with David Thiaw (prounced Chow). We had an introduction to him previously when he did an artist in residence program at Jill's school. He is a master percussionist, an engaging storyteller, singer musician, composer, teacher, linguist and recently, an author.




The program was for children aged 5 and up (Peirce is 5 in less than 2 months) The person who called the other day to confirm that we were going to be there said it would be okay if I brought Peirce. Her words were, "The more the merrier!" The two "librarian-guards" at the door today didn't seem to agree and were very snarky with me telling me that it isn't appropriate for anyone under 5...but I ignored them and went on in with Peirce. (Sometimes I can't stand the 'rules are the rules and we shall obey the rules!' that seems so prelevant amongst librarians) I'm glad I went with my instincts because Peirce really enjoyed it. We bought one of his recordings and when we were listening to it in the van Peirce asked why we were listening to this when we just heard those stories. He told African folk tales. He talked a lot about how everyone on the earth is really the same and how we need to solve our differences peacefully. It was really terrific! He speaks with such a calm and peaceful voice...and then suddenly starts drumming and making so much noise that it is a stark contrast!


We had some lunch and then went to the next program - a puppet show on bullying called Puppets for Peace. It was terrific. Watching the program really got me to thinking how fun it would be to use puppets to teach kids in primary. I've been thinking a lot lately about how I'd like to do a summer camp or maybe a Spring Break program where there are activities and games all to do with the Book of Mormon. I'm just not sure where I'd find the time to put it together. I haven't mentioned the idea to Allen because I know he'd say right away that I don't have time for it - and he's right...but I sure would like to do it!
After watching this puppet show we've had a few spats at home (it's a daily occurence in our family) and it's been interesting to hear Jill and Peirce both say things they heard in this puppet show. It's so wonderful to see them learn how to get along and solve their differences!
So the common theme today seemed to be peace. It was almost as good as going to a yoga class! I love this feeling. I need to get my life together a little more so that I can find a little time every day to focus on the peaceful things in life. I love that feeling that comes with it.








No comments: