Monday 23 April 2007

Mom You Lied!!

Today I took Peirce for his 4 1/2 year old shots. We've been putting this off for a while but today we finally made it to the appointment (had an appointment previously but somehow it totally slipped my mind). Peirce was very nervous about it and didn't want to get in the van - but I just kept the forward motion going and somehow he got swept up in it and got in the van and off we went. I had promised him it wouldn't hurt (big mistake) and that after, if he was brave, we'd go to McDonald's.

When we went in he was excited to see the play area. He played a bit and then got weighed and measured. He is now a 50th percentile kid in height and weight - great news!! He was in the 50th percentile when he was born and then around six months (or sooner) he just quit growing until he slipped below the charts. The doctors and nurses all had fits and we had to go to tons of appointments. They'd grill me every time on our family history and what he eats and then tell me if he didn't grow a certain amount by the next visit they'd hospitalize him - and every time he'd just eek over the bar. You wouldn't even know it now!! I was pretty happy about that.

After getting weighed and measured we went into the nurse's office. I let her know that Peirce isn't one to pull a fast one on and asked if she'd explain to him what she was going to do and why. They had a lovely conversation and he nodded that he understood. He quickly changed the subject though and wanted to show her his bag of treasures he had picked up on our walk this morning (a few bottle caps, a small piece of rope and a piece of metal in the shape of an S). She admired his treasures and then said it was time to pull up his sleeve. He had long sleeves on so we had to take his arm right out of his shirt - which really didn't help my modest little boy feel comfortable. There were two needles to be had. The first one wasn't so bad...but after the second he said, "That hurt! Mom! You lied!"



Being a Mommy isn't always that fun. I do keep my promises though - and we did go to McDonald's. We have a rule that we don't go to McDonald's without Jill anymore (too many tears when he'd show her the new toy he got in his Happy Meal that day) and he was concerned about Jill not being there - but I told him she'd understand. We stayed as long as he wanted to stay and play (which was really kind of a drag because I couldn't find a newspaper to read to fill the time). He seemed to forget the ache in his arm while we were there - but after being home for a couple hours he was rather irritable.

Tonight he's complained a fair bit about his arm aching. He's also reminded me a number of times that I lied to him. Jill took him to the park and they walked around for about an hour looking for potential customers for her dog walking business - which totaly wore him out. He came home and had his favorite dinner (toast) and then laid down to watch TV. By 6:45 he was out. I sure hope he feels better tomorrow for his birthday!



How could I lie to a cute face like that??!! Sure love that boy....

No comments: