Wednesday 18 April 2007

Some people are never happy....

I was a little irritated tonight. We had a school council meeting. Prior to the meeting on Tuesday where we found out they weren't going to close our school I wasn't going to go to the School Council meeting on Wednesday. I figured we were going to be closed and so the meeting Wednesday would be a real downer. However, when the decision went the other way I decided I needed to go - if for no other reason than to celebrate! There are a few things that we as parents have just kind of let slide because of the chance that we were closing - so there was a lot to talk about. I figured it would be a great celebration. I was sure surprised when many were still complaining!! These are people that were talking about how we needed to FIGHT to keep our school. Well, we got our school and now they're not happy that we do because our numbers are low. I was so irritated by the time I left that I could hardly stand it. One complained about how she didn't like how the Scenario Development Team (which I was on) presented information. I was totally irritated by her. She had a number of suggestions on how we could have done things better. I finally said that we had all worked long and hard on that committee. None of us were experts in the matter and we all did the best we could and perhaps when the opportunity comes up again she should come and be on the committee if she's such an expert.

There are moments when I wonder why I bother trying to be an involved parent at all. Hello! We have our school people. We have some great plans with becoming a Learning Through the Arts program. Let's be excited and get to work!!

One of the parents asked if I wanted to go for a drink with her and a few others after the meeting. Normally I'm not into hanging out at the neighborhood pub - but I sure enjoyed it. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was irritated by the talk at that meeting!

Some people are just never happy I guess.

Here's the article in today's paper about our school. If you click on it you can read it (well, almost read it....it's a little blurry....one of these days I'm going to have to figure out how to use the scanner) ....see if you can find my name in there!

No comments: