Tuesday 15 May 2007

Mary Called Magdalene


This week is the week for my Book Club - only thing is I'm still finishing up the book we read for last month! Oops.

I've been reading Mary Called Magdalene by Margaret George. It's a big heavy 600 pager - and although I'm enjoying it, I think it could have been just as good in about 300 pages. Lots of walking and talking and such that I think could have been edited out.


The one thing I've really enjoyed about tihs book is to have a new perspective on the human nature of the Savior, his family, and the people that followed him. I never could have imagined how people could have rejected the Savior when he walked and talked among them - but this book has given me a little insight into why perhaps people might have done so. It's also an interesting perspective on the Savior and his family. The author portrays his brothers as rather unhappy with him for leaving the family business (Joseph has died an early death in this book). His mother, Mary, leaves the family and follows the Savior as a disciple as well.

I am almost finished the book (about 100 pages to go....hope to hit the sack early tonight and finish it up)...and I would recommend it to others. I think it would be especially good for a vacation in the sun where one has a lot of time for long stretches of reading! (which is something I obviously haven't had a lot of lately) Since I'm very familiar with the New Testament it hasn't been a book I've read that has pushed me along to uncover what happens in the end. I was quite interested in reading what happens to Mary in the beginning when she's filled with demons. She does many different things to rid herself of the demons - none of which work until she meets Jesus. After he heals her she follows him and becomes a disciple.

Interesting read!

No comments: