Wednesday 16 May 2007

My Mild Heart Attack

Tonight my son aged me a little.

We don't have many kids in our neighborhood. There is a boy across the street that is a year younger than Peirce...but he doesn't speak English and is quite shy...so they haven't played together too much. However, he's learning English now and so they play a little more. The neighbor won't come over to our house - but Peirce will often go over to their house to play if he sees him outside.

Tonight Peirce had been playing in our yard a lot and was venturing out into the field behind our house. He seems to get a little more freedom with that than I ever gave Jill. Maybe its' because I'm a little more permissive with Jill now...and so he thinks he can do things too...but he runs around much more than Jill ever did...and it makes me nervous sometimes. Tonight he was playing in the field behind our house and he came in to tell me he was going to the park. I told him he couldn't because he can only go to the park if someone goes with him. He tried to argue with me - but it's a hard and fast rule in our house and not negotiable. Soon he left the house again...and after a bit I got to wondering where he went. I figured he had probably decided to go to the park anyway...so off I go to find him. He have a few parks near our house...so I went to the closest one. Not there. Went to the next one...not there. Then I started asking people as I walked around the neighborhood if they'd seen him. No one had. Now I'm getting nervous. Finally I decided I'd go get in the van and drive around....and lo and behold..there he is playing with the neighbor in their driveway. Turned out he had gone over and played with the boy in their back yard...but didn't tell me.



I was sure glad to see him!! But we also had another talk about how he has to tell me where he's going. He said, "But mom, you said I couldn't go to the park so I didn't!"

I had to smile. It all made perfect sense to him and he really couldn't see why I was having a mild heart attack.

Motherhood...sometimes it's just crazy!!!

No comments: