Wednesday 27 June 2007

Grade Three is Finished Too

Today was Jill's last day of school. Every year seems to have had some weird twists to it since Jill has started school. This year was no exception - but all in all I think it was a good year.

She's a little sad because her best friend, Alison, is moving away to New Brunswick. She is really going to miss her. I hope they will keep in touch though. It will be fun to have a penpal!

Jill got her report card today. She always does very well in school. Their report card marks are numbers 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest. She gets mostly 4's and 5's all year long. This time she had a few 3's - and truthfully, I think it's my fault. I've had a bad attitude about homework and clearly she adopted my attitude. Her 3's she got were because she is a bit of a messer (I can believe that...you should see her room!) and because she didn't complete some assignments. All year long they had to do lists with long lists of things they needed to complete. I never really pushed her to do homework. As a result she hardly ever brought things home, and in turn, never turned those things in. I found a lot of the homework was just 'busy work' - and that just turns me off. Sometimes I think I should become a better mother in that regard - but the fact is I don't buy into the effectiveness of homework! (Check out the link, read the book....maybe you'll agree)

Next year it sounds like they're giong to have 3/4 split. I'm quite excited about that. It will be nice for Jill to have some different kids in her class. She's been with the same kids for 4 years now.


....now I just have to figure out what to do with the piles of art work and scribblers and papers she has brought home (sigh)

No comments: