Saturday 24 November 2007

The Christmas Box


This is a quick read. I read it because I heard that it was written to comfort the author's mother, who had lost a child. As a mother who also lost a child, I didn't get much comfort from it - but it is a nice story. As a matter of fact, it gave me an idea for a Christmas story we can give as a gift to our family....but I shall not divulge the details there just yet.

What fascinates me most about this book is the huge success it has been. Apparently it is the first book Richard Paul Evans wrote. Wikpedia says: "the book sold by word of mouth with such success that it soon got the attention of the big publishing houses. A bidding war erupted which resulted in Evans receiving several million dollars for the publishing rights.

Released in hardcover in 1995 by Simon & Schuster, The Christmas Box proved a publishing phenomenon, becoming the first book to simultaneously reach the No.1 position on the New York Times bestseller list for both the paperback and hardcover editions. That same year, the book was made into a television movie of the same title starring Richard Thomas and Maureen O'Hara."

Imagine....isn't that every author's dream?! ...your first book makes you millions.

I have got to figure out that recipe and apply it in my own life.

No comments: