Saturday 12 January 2008

Serendipitous Decisions

I have been thinking today about some of my more serendipitous decisions.

The first was who I married. I listened to all those young women's lessons and heard them say how important marriages choices are, but not until I'd been married for a few years and compared my life and marriage to some others that I swiped my brow and gave a 'phew!' I lucked out there!

Another of those serendipitous decisions is the career Allen has chosen and the work I'm involved with. I'm so grateful for the freedom we have with our careers.

Today Allen was awarded the watch at our baseshop kick off meeting. They said lots of nice things about us and all morning I felt as though my heart would burst. One reason was because I'm just so proud of Allen. The other reason is I just feel so much gratitude for the choices he's made. He works hard and though there have been plenty of challenges along the way, I sure wouldn't trade any of it. We are surrounded by caring, inspiring, kind, smart, hard-working people in PFS. Allen's decisions to work hard bring amazing bounty. I'm particularly amazed at how Allen can make big chunks of money in short periods of time. Since losing Destiny we've been extremely blessed fincially. I can't say things have just fallen into our laps - but at times they certainly have, and the rest of the time he's just plain worked hard. I am so grateful that he has the flexibility to be able to take the time when we've needed it, and not had to worry about hurrying back to work.

I'm also amazed at the luck I've had to be able to work from home. I almost want to put quotations around the word luck in that sentence because in many ways it isn't luck. There are a lot of people who think they want a job like mine where they work from home, but not too many that really want to do the work that is required as it is a lot of work. I am often surprised at the complaints I hear about money from people. I will talk to them about what I do and the excuses as to why it wouldn't work quickly follow. I just shrug. To me the benefits far outweigh the costs. If I went to work somewhere I wouldn't have been able to even consider allowing Jill to leave school and be homeschooled the next few months. For Jill, I think this time is vital to her good emotional health. We're so lucky that we can do it.

Another serendipitous decision has been the one to study and pray daily. The time in daily reflection and communion with God have been the perfect ally in the dark days following Destiny's death. These habits have helped me have the storage of comfort I needed to draw on even when I felt alone. I've always thought the Footsteps poem was a little hackneyed - but now it seems to describe the time following November 6 more appropriately than anything could.

I don't know how I got so lucky...but I'm sure grateful.

2 comments:

The Family Called Hyde said...

You are indeed lucky to have such a good man at your side, and he too is lucky to have you at his side. Communication is the key to a good relationship and you two do that indeed.

One of my serendipitous decisions was the family that I just fell into. The support of my family these last four years have been trememdous, and something that I finally realized that I DID have and only needed to knock and the door was opened to me. The love and comfort of my heavenly father also has been a great help for me in my days of doubt and sorrow. I thank my sisters for their support and their understanding of me also. I couldn't have done it without them. In some ways, that is when I miss my mother and Daddy to talk to, for they were my confidents for a long time.

Another serendipitous decisions were meeting the love of my life, Ardell. He is so understanding and he loves me dearly. We have become best of friends and soul mates. It will be so good to finally marry him and become husband and wife. I really love him for just being who he is. Ardell is a very resonable man and very supportive of anything I want to do. Sometimes I will go to him and ask his advice, and he will tell me to do what my heart feels I should do. He is teaching me independence to be on my own, and stand up for myself in time of need. That has been a big help to me in the last four years of divorce. Isn't love grand???

Julianne L. said...

I know God loves it when we are grateful and humble about our blessings - but it couldn't have happened to a more fun, deserving person in my view. I have so many memories of you making family gatherings sparkle. I would love it if I got to come a give you massages and pedicures. Who knows with how life goes...