Sunday 30 March 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns (Khaled Hosseini)


There are few books that have ever made me cry. This one definitely made me cry.

I'm astounded that in my lifetime there are woman that have had lives like the women in this book. I'm amazed at their courage. I'm amazed at their struggles. I'm amazed at how we have common natural instincts to love and protect our children no matter what. I'm amazed that anyone could do things that are so unkind and so abusive as the women there have endured.
I was trapped by this book early on. I love it when I finally find a book that is that magnetic. Today I read over half of it's almost 400 pages. I am going to have to read something happier next though. I feel sad and dark and I can't imagine how these women shake that feeling in their own lives.
That being said, I would totally recommend this book. We cannot ignore the things that have gone on in those countries. Surely somehow we can do something to help them. I am amazed at how I think I have trials.....and how I plead with Heavenly Father over the things in my life. I am amazed that Heavenly Father can even listen to me when he has children who endure life as it is in countries like Afghanistan.

No comments: