Wednesday 9 April 2008

How 'bout that food storage??

I wonder how this works. Recently our stake has become more organized in helping members with getting a food storage together. They've formed a co-op so that we can buy things at a reduced price. Allen and I have done a lot of other things to work on getting a year's supply as well. It's funny how when you start to focus on something you see all the more reasons to do it. I read a blog today that had a link to an article about the UN's concern that food prices are beginning to threaten security. The article says that recently there have been riots in Haiti last that killed four people, violent protests in Ivory Coast, price riots in Cameroon in February that left 40 people dead, heated demonstrations in Mauritania, Mozambique and Senegal, protests in Uzbekistan, Yemen, Bolivia and Indonesia....all over food.

Makes me think of the scripture....D&C 104:17 that says....For the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves.

There is enough....but it's just not getting to everyone. When I think of the waste that goes on in our culture I feel embarrassed. Just yesterday I was dropping my son off at school. I walked by a garbage can full of fruit with one bite taken out of it, granola bars tossed in, sandwiches that kids had eaten around the crust and then thrown away….we certainly are a wasteful society. That doesn't even get into the gluttony in restaurants and the waste that goes on there...and that's just with food....then there's the topic of money and how we use it unwisely.

I think I'll take some time today to make a list of what we'll do this month to add to our food storage.

No comments: