Thursday 7 August 2008

Armchair Theatre

Our city has some amazing Parks and Rec programs...and many of them are free. Tonight we went to the Armchair Theatre production they were putting on. The entertainment wasn't what we expected at all, but we quite enjoyed it.

They had a lady (whose name escapes me) that is a story-teller. She told a number of legends and other stories. I was really glad we went!! I really believe story telling is important for children (well, perhaps adults too). I believe it's the beginning steps of literacy and I think there is nothing better than a well-told story! It was interesting to see how the children there responded though. Many weren't interested. I would suspect that they're more interested in being entertained by stories on film and TV that are much more animated and mesmerizing. It took a little discipline for some of those kids to sit there and continue to listen. I think it's a natural skill that is perhaps a little lost in our time.

At the event tonight they had popcorn and juice boxes and a lady painting faces. What more could a kid ask for?!

No comments: