Friday 15 August 2008

Bread! Glorious Bread!



Isn't it beautiful!! I made this bread with half freshly ground wheat and half white wheat flour. I also threw in the remainder of flax seeds that I had around. It is so good!! I used Nana Hyde's recipe again.

We had a new member discussion at our house today and as we were just finishing I brought out the freshly baked buns and we had buns with butter....so good!! Amazing how quick a batch of buns can go when there are six adults and 3 kids! :0) We sure enjoyed them though.

I think I'm going to start making bread once a week. Friday is a day I often don't feel like working so much - and so that seems like a good distraction. Plus, it's a good way to start off the weekend....with some fresh baking! Stop by any Friday afternoon. :0)

2 comments:

Kim Hawryluk said...

Mmmmm...that looks really good! Maybe you'll have to send me the recipe so I can try it! :)

Dawn said...

Cream together 1/4 cup margarine and 1 cup brown sugar
Beat and add 3 eggs to the first mixture
Add 4 cups hot water, 2 tbsp honey, 1/3 cup instant potatoes, 2 tbsp salt, 1/3 cup vegetable oil and enough freshly ground flour to make a smooth paste

Let sit a while

In a separate bowl make a yeast misture of:
1 cup warm water
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp yeast
Let stand 'til bubbly and then add to the first mixure
Let rise as a sponge (this means let it sit there until it gets bubbles in it....like a sponge has)
Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough (will be quite sticky) (I think it ends up being about 12-16 cups of flour.
In your mixer it should not stick to the sides. You should be able to take it out and handle it and not have it stick all over hell's half acre. :0) Just keep adding flour and poking at it until it seems like it's right (how's that for more help?!)....practise makes perfect!
Mix again, this time for 10 minutes
Oil large bowl and put dough in bowl
Let rise
Put out on oiled counter top, let rise again
Grease cookie sheet and form rolls
Let rise and bake at 325 for 14 - 20 minutes