Saturday 16 August 2008

Canning Season Has Arrived

Today I taught an Enrichment class about making apple sauce and fruit leather. I think it went quite well. These are the jars I had left over. The three were from the class. I made the apple sauce with transparent apples...which I'm not sure I'd recommend. They're a little too soft for the cutting and they're quite tart. The jar that is more reddish was the last jar I made. They had a bunch of left over fruit from the water. They had put grapes and strawberries and oranges and blueberries and melons (honeydew, canteloupe and watermelon) in the water and were going to throw it out at the end of the day and I said, "Don't do that!" I took it home and made more applesauce out of it...and boy, is it tasty!! This is the almost finished fruit leather. Looks like it's going to be a beauty! Great for lunches!
I also made some fruit leather from the left-over fruit I snagged at the end of the day. That looks like it's going to be bursting with flavor!
And then this is what was waiting for me when I got home: 100 pounds of peaches. I plan to can those. The plan was to do it today....but I'm a little worn out. I think they're going to have to wait until Monday.
I really love working on my food storage. The peaches we got were $0.85 a pound. Yesterday I also ordered 80 pounds of pears - and those were 70 cents a pound. I've decided I'm going to set a goal to do some canning every month for the next 12 months. If I do a little every month we'll have a great stockpile of delicious food! Maybe I should change the title for this post. Canning Seasoning perhaps is going to become a misnomer. It'll be the canning year!

2 comments:

whistlepunch said...

Look at you.. writing about your food storage. Setting such a good example to the rest of us!

Alysha Sladek said...

wow. that's awesome. i LOVE homemade fruit leather. it's sooo good. and that applesauce looks yummy. i really wanted to freeze peaches this year - jimmy looks fresh peach pie, and it's probably the only dessert he'll eat, but you can't find good peaches in february... anyhoo, good luck with all the canning.