Monday 20 April 2009

Remembering Sister Jensen

I realized today that it has been 20 years since I came home from my mission. I left in August of 1988 and came home December 1989. I sure don't feel as old as I imagined someone 20 years past a mission! It seems like I just came home!

This isn't a picture of me - the rare experience of being amongst all those missionaries makes my heart burn!

One thing that took a little while was giving up the idea that I'd be different (or that Elders wouldn't fart) when I became a missionary. I was still very much me (and Elders were still very much 19 year old boys)...but miracles still happened. I loved my experience. I loved working with other missionaries. And I loved the people of Orange County California!

I'm kind of weird - but I liked the intensity of the MTC and of being a missionary. I liked being shot into the system and studying and reading and focusing on something so important all day long. I liked the discipline of it. I also loved being able to go to the temple every week in the MTC. I look forward to doing that when we get a temple where I live now.

...one thing I didn't like was wearing nylons every day. BLECH. Had to wear them every day in the MTC and on my mission. BLECH

I often think about the companions I had and wonder how they're doing. I keep in touch with a few of them but there are some I haven't heard from in 20 years. I sure would love to get together with them again!

And one day though, I plan to do it again! I actually have a reoccuring dream that I'm on a mission again and trying to balance family and a mission....doesn't work too well in my dreams!

2 comments:

Kim Siever said...

I can't wait go on a mission with Mary. It will be nice having a companion I get along with and accepts me for who I am.

Amy said...

It took me awhile to figure out who Sister Jensen was. I thought you were remembering a companion who passed away or something, but then when it didn't say anything about anyone dying I thought about it for a minute and finally figured it out!