Monday 4 May 2009

Might As Well Laugh About It Now (Marie Osmond)

I watched the Donny and Marie show when I was growing up and enjoy it - but I can't say I was ever a huge Osmond fan....not the "I'll pay anything to see them and scream when I go to their concert" type fan. I was even a little embarrassed to get the book out of the library but somehow I felt compelled to read her new book. I'm so glad I did!

I was really impressed by her subtle ability to share her beliefs and throw in the typical LDS phrases so comfortably. I was touched by the experiences she shared and was entertained by her humor.

My favorite stories were ones involving children. Just at the start of her stint on Dancing With the Stars she said she was so sore she seriously could not move. She lay on her bed with an aspirin, wondering how she could get some water, when one of her sons walked by the room. She asked him if he'd get some water for her and he responded that he couldn't because his hands were full. She patted the bed and asked him to just put the stuff down and be a love and help her out. He quickly complied and while he was in the bathroom she realized his hands had been holding a pet snake which was now on her bed. ARGH!!! I can think of nothing worse!! She had a good sense of humor about it though.

I learned a few interesting things too. I had no idea that Donny and Marie were the youngest hosts of a show, and that they set so many records. I also didn't know that Marie turned down the role of Sandy in Grease. Talk about a great story of no regrets! It was fascinating to read how she struggled with her own self-image and how real she is. She has a busy and successful life but she really did come across as very down to earth in this book.

The book ends with a story of a little niece born in 1981 to her brother Tom. The baby only lived a very short time because she was born without a skull and her brain was severely damaged. Marie knew she had to be there to meet this little girl even though it was terribly impractical and quite difficult to get there. Her explanation of how we exist before we come to earth, how we make promises to each other, and how thin the veil is brought tears to my eyes. She intertwines this story with the story of losing her mother on Mother's day in 2004. It is beautiful.

This book made me want to be a little better, stand a little taller, and smile at life more often. I thought it was quite well written and I'd easily recommend it! I wish more books left me with such a good feeling.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the review! Now I want to go buy it!

Dawn said...

I got it at the library....I've really slowed down on the books I buy.

Kelly said...

I loved the Osmonds. In fact I was gonna marry Donny!! I couldn't watch the show growing up because we had peasant vision and only sometimes on Friday night if the TV wasn't too snowy I could sort of see them!
I also just read her book and loved it!! She has lived through a lot of stuff and I am sure it wasn't easy. She is so honest and real!