Wednesday 15 December 2010

God is Good

What a difference a week can make.

Last week at this time I was a little depressed. I had applied for two different teaching positions but hadn't heard a thing back. I figured they had to have hired someone already because who would leave it until the last week of school? And what a bummer that I didn't even get an interview.

Then on Saturday I spent some time exercising and studying and decided I wasn't going to be depressed about it because I know God loves me and everything would work out for the best - even if it meant I just continued subbing. My scheduling manager emailed me and asked if I'd like some more projects in January and I told her I would and I decided maybe that is what was meant to be.

I was scheduled to sub on Monday, but on Sunday my spidey senses started tingling. I couldn't find the note written down in my planner showing when I was asked to sub that day. It's funny I'd even question it because I never have before. I decided to email the vice principal anyway and found out my gut was right....I really wasn't needed that day. I was looking forward to the day off when I got another email from the vice-principal of one of the school's I had applied to and she wanted me to come in for an interview on Monday!! I was so glad I had found out I wasn't needed for subbing. If I had put off the interview and then found out I really didn't have to sub it would have been a big drag!! As it was I went in on Monday for the interview. Tuesday I subbed at that school. The teacher who is going on maternity leave was doing a demonstration of a teaching technique for some teachers and I was invited to go in and watch her. As I watched her teach (she is really amazing!) I was seriously humbled and wondered if I'd ever get that good! I went home a little discouraged again.

BUT!! That night, around 8 pm, the vice principal called me. She and the principal are real poker-faces (well, not always, but they sure were in the interview, and she was again on this phone call). She asked if I was subbing the next day and I said I was subbing at another school. She hmmmmm'd and then said, "Well, the real reason for my call is we would like to offer you a position here at our school." I tried to act cool and simply grateful, but the truth is, I could hardly contain myself. I am sure I caused her to smirk a little....I was a tad excited! She ended up working something out with the school I was to sub at the next day and then I spent today shadowing the teacher that I'll be replacing. I'm so thrilled with this opportunity!!

.....oh, and to continue, today I also I got a call from the other school where I had applied. They said they short listed me for their position and asked if I'd come in for an interview. I explained that I had actually just accepted a position and thanked them for short-listing me. Then I said a little prayer of thanks to Heavenly Father for helping me to feel like I'm not a loser! :0)

I'm so excited about this new position. It's a grade two class, and they're a wonderful group. Also, the school is right across the street from Peirce's school! He will be able to walk across the street to my class and not go home on the bus if he doesn't want to. It will be wonderful to be working so close to where he is. We decided we will look for each other on days I'm on supervision and wave to each other. LOL

2 comments:

Gilly said...

Congratulations! That sounds like the perfect position. A good lesson on never underestimating yourself - or peoples procrastination of staffing decisions - as an HR person I know, they put it off and put it off! Especially for maternity leaves - when all you have to do is look at the person to realize you had better hurry up.

The Lawlor's said...

How fun! Congrats and good luck (not that you will need it!)