Friday 21 January 2011

Family Literacy Day

Family Literacy Day takes place annually on January 27 to celebrate adults and children reading and learning together, and to encourage Canadians to spend at least 15 minutes enjoying a learning activity as a family every day. We celebrated Family Literacy today in my classroom by reading books by Chris Van Allsburg. It was so fun. One of my favorite things about teaching is sharing books with kids and helping them learn to love reading. My goal is to have a class of kids that are obsessive readers!



I told them previously that Cornelia Funke was one of my favorite authors. Today when I introduced the books and told them Chris Van Allsburg was one of my favorite authors a few of them called me on it. They said, "You said Inkheart was your favorite?!" I told them I have a new favorite every week.



It was so fun to tell them about some of the books and see them get excited about them. It is truly one of the best things about teaching! He wrote The Polar Express and Jumanji....most people know about those two. There are so many more though!! I love his books!!

No comments: