Tuesday 25 January 2011

Our New Pet

Part of my motherhood experience seems to be that I am learning to live with animals. No. Not my children.... their pets!!

Poor Peirce woke up one morning to find his hamster had died. He blogged about it here. His post just makes me laugh: "This is him when he is dead." ....and he took a picture!!

Well, Allen had promised him we'd get a new hamster so off they went to Petland one Saturday. I was fine with that. Only they didn't come home with a hamster.....they came home with a Degu!! Argh!! Oh my shattered nerves!!!!

It was to be no big deal. "He can live in the hamster cage." they said. "And he's really friendly mom! He'll learn to recognize our voice and make cute sounds when he hears us come home!"

Well, apparently not. The guy has very sharp teeth that allow him to get out of all sorts of places. We borrowed a class aquarium from someone after he got out of the hamster cage too much. It had a net for a roof, but it had a hole in it and he could get out of that - so we put some books on top....but he likes to chew books. So finally we went and got a new degu-appropriate cage for him to live in.


He at least now stays in his cage. I still don't really like him though.



What was ever wrong with a hamster??!! Argh!!

No comments: