Wednesday 9 March 2011

The Blood of the Prodigal by P. L. Gaus

Last night I had a lot to do. I seem to have a lot to do every day. And now and then I relish in avoiding it all.....like I did last night. I came home and the house was quiet. Jill was watching TV and Peirce and Allen were sleeping (they have both been sick all week) I decided I would go sit in my favorite reading spot for a bit and spend some quiet time reading......it was so wonderful!! As a matter of fact, so wonderful that I decided I would just do that the rest of the evening, I loved it!! I think I need to do that more often.

The book was The Blood of the Prodigal. it is a mystery - not my usual genre, but I quite enjoyed it. I am fascinated by groups of people like Hutterites and the Amish. I admire their work ethic and wonder if I could handle the lifestyle. This book gives a little glimpse into the Amish lifestyle. I had a bit of a hard time keeping track of the characters, but I wouldn't fault the author for that. I think that was because I took so long to get into it. The ending surprised me, and overall I quite enjoyed it.

The story is about a son who gets banished from the family/community/religion (???) shamefully. He has a son from a short relationship who is being raised by his parents. The boy goes missing, and of course they suspect him to be the kidnapper. However, he ends up being found dead, and the boy is still missing....and so the mystery goes.....

It is a good read!! I would recommend it.

No comments: