Thursday 24 March 2011

Thanks!!

This is Jill's first year in Junior High. I have really been hand's off with the whole Junior High thing. Something about starting working full time, coupled with the idea that she is at that age where she doesn't want me around so much anyway. Hwever, the mother-guilt keeps nagging at me. I missed the last parent-teacher interviews, but was determined to go this time. Jill kept asking me, "why bother?" ....and in some ways I agree. She is doing well in school and I really don't have any concerns, but I decided I woud check in anyway. Their system for interviews is totally different than elementary school, but with the help of some other parents I know I got it figured out and did meet with all her teachers. And what a great experience!! They were all very kind and complimentary of Jill. Made me feel like maybe I have done something right as a parent!! I never have enjoyed parent-teacher interviews as a parent, and tonight, after such a good experience, it really made me think about how much I not only appreciated their approach, but wanted to make are I give that same feeling to other parents. In the past, I have often had very limited conversations summed up with "I have no concerns", but haven't ever had someone go on about how great my kid is like I did tonight. The funny thing it wasn't just one teacher....all of them did it!! I cooed dismiss it if it was one teacher - but hearing it again and again did something more -it made me believe it! I decided I have a new goal to do the same. Every parent loves their kid to bits and so do i!! Getting that positive feedback from teachers really buoyed me up. I hope I can do the same for the parents I interact with!

No comments: