Tuesday 10 September 2013

A New Attitude

I was reading in 1 Nephi today and was struck by the story of Laman and Lemuel and Nephi. It was clear to me that murmuring and grumbling is a way to not hear God's voice. It is interesting that Laman and Lemuel went with Nephi and Sam to get the plates after Lehi asked them to go back to Jerusalem, but all along the way they grumbled and murmured about it.

It made me think of myself. I sometimes spend a lot of energy grumbling about all the things I have to do for other people. I have decided that this year I will stop grumbling and just enjoy it. Driving kids is a great time to visit with them and strengthen our relationship. Waiting for kids is a great time to read or to walk - a person can walk anywhere. I just have to remember to always have the right shoes with me! And serving other people is a great opportunity to feel the spirit and get closer to God - if I'll only not grumble about it.

Laman and Lemuel grumbled. Nephi instead got a fixed determination to accomplish what he'd been asked to do. No wonder he was the stronger one.

And 1 Nephi 4:1 is a great thing to remember. God is mightier than all. If I put him first and make sure I'm reading my scriptures daily I'm sure he will help me make it through the long list of things there are to do each day.

1 comment:

The Lawlor's said...

Great insight. Thanks Dawn.